What is needed is a way to sort the wheat from the chaff. I've been a fan of the genre and been using them as part of my therapy and coaching work for quite some time. So which books have I and my clients found most helpful? Each year I update my personal top ten self-books - which books have I found most helpful in the last year.
The best self-help/personal development classics
My annual personal top ten (in brackets is position last year)
1. The Seven Habits of Highly effective People Stephen Covey (1)
2. Man's Search for Meaning Viktor Frankl (2)
3. The Feeling Good Handbook David Burns (8)
4. Overcoming Low Self-Esteem Melanie Fennell (5)
5. The Conquest of Happiness Bertrand Russell (4)
6. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff -and it's all small stuff Richard Carlson (3)
7. Emotional Intelligence Daniel Goleman (7)
8. The Art of Happiness Howard Cutler and the Dalai Lama (-)
9. How to Win Friends and Influence People Dale Carnegie (6)
10. The Consolations of Philosophy Alain de Botton (9)
What are your favourite self-help books?